How to Become a Modern-Day Witch: A Step-by-Step Guide
Becoming a Modern-Day Witch: A Helpful Guide to Getting Back to Your Roots
By: Autumn Grey
Spooky season has returned once again and the world gets a tad bit witchier as the nights grow longer and the winds grow colder. I don't know about anyone else, but the arrival of Autumn just seems to bring out something in me that more or less lies dormant throughout the spring and summer months, something a little more ancient.
There can be no denying the wonders of the modern world, what with planes, trains and automobiles, but something about the leaves turning bright reds, yellows and oranges just causes me to pause a bit more and really soak up what this world really is: The wet moss, the tall, towering trees swaying and creaking in the stronger winds, the pitter patter of falling acorns and the skittering of squirrels and chipmunks gathering their food stores for the coming winter. It's all these things and more than draw me to kick off my modern-day shoes, don a pointed black hat and just go be in nature as our ancestors thousands of years ago used to do.
If you feel even a tiny bit similar to me, then chances are the thought of becoming a modern-day witch has crossed your mind at least once or twice. If so, there is no better time to go back to our ancestral roots!
By becoming a modern witch, you begin to embrace a more contemporary form of spirituality that combines elements of traditional witchcraft and a love for nature mixed with your own personal beliefs and practices.
If that seems maybe a little confusing or convoluted - don't worry! In essence, modern witchcraft is all about you getting back to your roots in nature and spirituality and doing whatever feels comfortable. If foraging is more your thing, go for it. If you want to brew potions and do spells, go for it! Being witchy looks different for each and every person.
To help get you started on the path to witchy-dom, I've compiled a (I think anyway) pretty comprehensive guide! Blessed be!
Understanding Modern Witchcraft
Modern witchcraft, often referred to as "neo-paganism" or "contemporary witchcraft," is a diverse and eclectic spiritual practice that draws inspiration from various sources, including ancient pagan traditions, folklore, and new age spirituality. Modern witches typically focus on the following key aspects:
· Nature-Based Spirituality: At the core of modern witchcraft is a deep connection with nature. Witches revere the natural world and its cycles, often celebrating the changing seasons, lunar phases, and natural elements like earth, air, fire, and water.
· Personal Belief Systems: Modern witches often have a wide range of beliefs, from polytheism to pantheism to atheism. Some may follow deities from different mythologies, while others worship nature itself as sacred.
· Magical Practice: Magic plays a significant role in modern witchcraft. Witches believe in the power of intention, visualization, and ritual to effect change in their lives and the world around them. This may involve spell work, divination, and energy manipulation.
· Herbalism: Many modern witches incorporate herbalism into their practice. They use herbs for healing, meditation, and spell work. Learning about the properties and uses of herbs is a valuable skill for aspiring witches.
Getting Started on Your Witchcraft Journey
If you're interested in becoming a modern-day witch, here are some tips and suggestions to help you on your journey:
· Research and Study:
· Start by reading books and online resources about modern witchcraft, paganism, and Wicca. This will help you understand the various traditions and find one (or more!) that resonates with you.
· Learn about the history and mythology of witchcraft.
· Study the basics of astrology, tarot, and other divination methods.
· Take time to explore your own beliefs and spirituality. What aspects of witchcraft appeal to you the most? Do you feel drawn to a particular deity or element?
· Consider your ethical framework and how it aligns with your practice.
· Connect with Nature:
· Spend time in nature, whether it's a walk in the woods, gardening, or simply sitting outside. Develop a deeper connection with the natural world.
· Pay attention to the changing seasons and lunar phases, as these will become important in your practice.
· Create a Sacred Space:
· Dedicate a space in your home or outdoors for meditation, rituals, and spell work. It can be as simple as an altar or a corner with meaningful objects.
· Start Practicing:
· Begin with simple rituals and spells. Focus on your intentions and learn to work with energy.
· Keep a journal to record your experiences, dreams, and insights. This will help you track your progress and learn from your experiences.
· Join a Community:
· Consider joining a local or online witchcraft community. Connecting with others can provide support, guidance, and opportunities to learn from experienced witches.
· Respect and Ethics:
· Always approach your practice with respect for nature and others. Modern witchcraft is typically focused on positive, ethical actions and intentions.
· Remember the Wiccan Rede: "An' it harm none, do what ye will."
· Continue Learning:
· Witchcraft is a lifelong journey. Keep learning, experimenting, and evolving in your practice.
Remember that modern witchcraft is a highly personal and individualized path. There is no one "right" way to be a witch, so embrace what resonates with you and adapt your practice accordingly. With dedication and an open heart, you too can embark on a fulfilling journey as a modern-day witch!